Sunday, January 6, 2013

For Those about to Rock - We Salute You!


New to the Warhammer 40K hobby?

Over the last few days (the first few days of 2013) I have seen a number of posts in Google+ from people new to the hobby. They received new armies and are young, and/ or are getting back into the hobby after a long time, and are asking for advice online about armies (mainly Space Marines), and especially colours.

I personally think that the army you will keep playing with is the army that you really like the look of, and that means you will probably need to really like the colour scheme. In my case, I didn't like the look of most of the standard Tau (in other words, I didn't think I would be able to paint them!), so I went with something a little different. The same with my Skaven. The great thing about Warhammer (or any other game) is being able to use your own imagination so you can come up with something that YOU really like!

With new Space Marine players in mind (and I am new to Space Marines myself, having only got hold of some Black Templars over the last month or two) I thought the following resources (which turned up in a Google search) might be useful.

Design your own Space Marines...

From www.warseer.com 
A Space Marine army designer site. This lets YOU design the colours on your Space Marine...
...every SINGLE part of your Space Marine.
Choose each part separately, and THEN go on to choose colours for all their wargear as well.
www.bolterandchainsword.com/smp.php
(or here for a different -updated BETA?- version)

...Or be inspired...

War Axes
If you need inspiration, then you will be glad to know that there is a website devoted to documenting all the Space Marine Chapters and colours that are out there.

Let me say that again. A website dedicated to capturing all the Space Marine colours that are out there!

I haven't looked to see how active the site is, but regardless, there are more than a thousand chapters represented? 
Angels of Deliverance
Both of these sites are wonderful resources. I take my hat off to the site operators/ creators!

Do you have any "hidden gems" for gaming or modelling that you would like to share with new players of Warhammer 40K or Warhammer Fantasy Battles?

Cheers,
*Squeek*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...