Saturday, June 9, 2012

Finished High Elf Army with Pics!

*Squeek*

The Purple Sons of Xereus are ready to rock and roll! 

At about 1.00am this morning I put the finishing touches to the High Elf Silver Helms that I had been working on as a present for the kids. My first post about High Elves was on March 16th of this year, so it has taken me about 3 months to get this army done (nights only after the kids had gone to bed). As I was already late in giving the army to my kids as a surprise present (the Battlefield in a Box Elven Tower that was to complete the army hadn't arrived until this week) I decided that today, Saturday, would be the hand over.

So, before heading off to bed, I finished off the final details (scabbards), set out the army in the living room so the kids would see it, and added a quick hand-made card...

When I woke up, the kids had already had a look, and fortunately seemed quite happy! I was ALSO pretty happy (relieved!) to hear that yes, purple was still their favorite colour. I don't know how I would have felt if that had changed! 

Here are some pictures:
The assembled Purple Sons of Xereus
Mage and Elven Tower
Silver Helms
Silver Helms
Swordmasters of Hoeth, Bladelord, Musician and Banner
Spearmen, Sentinel, musician and banner.
Swordmasters of Hoeth (second unit of x10)
Swordmasters of Hoeth.
Repeater Bolt Thrower
Archers with Hawkeye, musician and banner

Silver Helms

Mage
As a dad, I was very happy to see them looking through all the models, picking them up and playing with them. (Of course, being kids, they immediately noticed that some of the Silver Helm mounts had lost their tails...)
It also looks as this is something that we can share going forward too. My oldest, (10) and I sat down, and she was happy to hear about the different troops and was quite excited about the prospect of playing a game! She likes maths, so she had a go totaling up the points cost of each unit and we put it at about 1300 (before magic items etc.)

Here is the army as it stands now. I have lots more models to work on, but I am calling it "finished" at this point because it is playable (I think) and this is the state that I handed it over to the kids.

x1 Mage (Commander)
x10 Swordmasters of Hoeth.
x10 Swordmasters of Hoeth.
x8 Silverhelms.
x10 Archers.
x10 Archers.
x20 Spearmen.
x2 Repeater Bolt Throwers and crew.

I have a Battle Standard Bearer primed, so that will probably be the next model, and then there are lots more things I could add.

It has been quite a busy 3 months on these, but I feel it was definitely worth it. I think it is really important to try to find something that gives you something to talk about with your kids. Ultimately, I don't want to force my kids into my hobby. If they aren't interested, then no harm done - it remains my hobby. 

Cheers,
*Squeek*



12 comments:

  1. Impressive with the decorated movement bases and the tower in the background! Your kids will be exited! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So far they seem happy and it has certainly started conversations and things around which we can talk and have fun!

      Delete
  2. What an awesome present! I'm sure you and your kids will have as much fun as we do with ours :) Ours just aren't lucky enough to have had the miniatures painted for them - we're mean parents that make them do most of it themselves! lol

    Cheers,
    Fern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I'm sure you and your kids will have as much fun as we do with ours"
      I hope so!
      BTW, I think having the kids do the painting is certainly the WISE thing to do!
      :-)
      Today one of mine wanted to learn with me about painting figures, so I think that could be on the cards...

      Delete
    2. We started our kids on old Heroquest miniatures, as they absolutely love playing Heroquest, and the miniatures are a lot plainer and easier to paint. It was a whole heap cheaper than starting them off on GW stuff, too

      Delete
    3. I don't have any other series, and I have a feeling that they will only want to paint Elves, so I think I will let them loose on an archer or spearman each...
      ...thinking that they will enjoy gluing and priming too...
      :-)

      Delete
  3. Congrats mate that is a beautiful looking army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment! A long way to go until it is a BIG army though...

      Just working on a BSB for the army now. Then I reckon another character (Tyrion? Teclis) and some hard - hitters (White Lions?)
      Decisions...
      Decisions...
      (Asking the kids what they want to do next would actually solve that problem!)

      Delete
  4. Seems like you really love your kids mate, I wish you many happy hours of gaming with them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind wishes! I hope one day to get to the point where a friendly family game is a regular fixture!

      Cheers,
      Squeek

      Delete
  5. Excellent looking final results there and even better that your kids like them.

    If you thought that the Swordmasters were bad for gems though, wait until you get hold of White Lions...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...