Saturday, March 10, 2012

Best Skaven figure...

*Squeek*

OK, you might have been thinking that it might be the Stormvermin unit champion, the Plague Priest, Queek Headtaker or one of the other bigger models. True, those models are really nicely done and full of character, so they might have been in the running...

...but not for me, because nothing compares to this little guy:




OK, I guess why this is the "Best" Skaven model needs a bit of explanation.

A while back I was rummaging through my bits bag to see how I could "Skaven-up" my most recent batch of Plague Monks. In the end, I decided to take a few giant rats that I had painted months ago and add them to the movement tray. (That actually worked pretty well and I recommend it as a quick method of adding some atmosphere to your movement trays or unit.)
In along with the Giant Rats was this guy. I must have painted him and added him in, planning to use him at a later date.
I can't remember what sprue he comes from (anyone?).

So why is he the "best"?

1.) Was a memorable part of the learning process
- One of the earliest times I ever felt that I had got drybrushing right


2.) Challenging
- At 12mm short he is half the size of my other minis - additional challenge!

3.) A reminder to try harder
- Dammit, I can still see those lines of flash that I missed on him...

4.) Captures the essence of the army. 
- This mini somehow captures the humour in the Skaven. He doesn't have any weird warpstone inventions, but there is something amusing about a large, robe-wearing rat, pointing the way for his larger brethren (especially when he can't see as his hood covers his eyes) Maybe you need a "warped" sense of humour to see it? (Sorry, couldn't resist.) 
- Oh, and let's not forget the well-sculpted skull.

5.) Just a fantastic sculpt.
-Detailed, without being overwhelming.
-Natural, flowing lines on the robes etc.

OK, "Best" in this case is a very personal thing. 

In summary, I think he captures the essence of the Skaven really well, and the essence of the Children of the Horned God is one reason they are so fun to paint and play. Although I haven't owned other WFB armies, the only one that comes close to the ratmen for me in terms of humor (or exceeds them) has to be Orcs and Goblins. (If only for the random death and madness, constant infighting, and amusing language.)

Believe it or not, this little guy is my absolute favorite Skaven model, and so he occupies the space under my computer monitor 24/7. It is models like this, and the experience of modelling and painting that goes along with them, that make this a great hobby.

What is your "Best" model in terms of a model that has personal meaning to you? 


Cheers,

*Squeek*

4 comments:

  1. Eek, I believe that they model comes off the rat Ogres and giant rats spue, from the Skaven battalion. eek.

    My best model is Flubber, my Hell Pit Abomination, I painted him after an IOB set and an extra batch of IOB clanrats (why they think clanrats would turn up on a battle field when there is only 20 per unit is beyond me)

    Flubber was the first model that I tried to use "techniques" in painting, blending and different washes on different parts of the model. So while not a masterpiece and I can see all the little errors, painting him was fun.
    And I may even use "techniques" on smaller models. Rather than base colours and then devlen mud wash for any and all clanrats. (did they think they were going Paris Fashion week?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info about the sprue - and for sharing about "Flubber". It hadn't occurred to me that people would give their HPA a name!
      ;-)

      Delete
  2. For me its my Grey Seer on screaming bell, from 2 editions ago (neither of the really high ones). I bought this model when I revisited my skaven and decided to really invest and make them into an army. Still proud of the paint job on the bell/seer, and glad I based and kept the seer separate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Grey Seer on the Bell seems to be a special one for many people. It combines both one of our most powerful characters with one of our most iconic items (if not one of the most iconic items in the game.)
      I only took up WFB in the current edition, so I don't have any of the older Skaven metals, such as the bell. It must weigh a ton!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...