Sunday, October 2, 2011

Dual Use Plagueclaw Catapult/ Warplightning Cannon Conversion Guide

*Squeek*

The current GW Skaven Plagueclaw Catapult/ Warplightning Cannon box allows you to make one or other of these fine warmachines (I think that was the intention anyway).

However, if you are low on Warptokens, you may want to consider this simple conversion for being able to keep this kit "Dual-use" so you can have either model in your army depending on your need.

Step 1:
Clip away the wires on the front of the Warplightning cannon. Then, attach the Plague Claw Catapult basket to the back of the WLC arm.

Your catapult/ cannon assembly will then look like this.

Step 2:
Assemble the catapult body but DO NOT GLUE THE FLOORBOARDS INTO PLACE ON THE FRAME YET.
Put the whole assembly in the frame first (there is a "tall" frame configuration and a "low" frame configuration - use the "low" one.) Make sure you don't glue the axle in place. You should be able to rotate the whole catapult/ cannon assembly around the axle freely.




Step 3:
File away a small curve in the floorboards of the frame, so that the whole cannon/ plague claw catapult unit can rotate freely.

Note how the cannon parts can now rotate past the floorboards.

Step 4:
Finally, attach the floorboards. If you do this and you DON'T GLUE THE CREW IN PLACE (I put them separately on bases) you should be able to rotate the whole arm so it is either pointing:
a.) "Forward" (towards the spikey front of the unit) in "Warplightning cannon mode" (with the PGC basket facing downwards)
OR
b.) "Backwards" in "Plagueclaw Cannon Mode" (with the PGC basket facing upwards.)

a.) Warplightning cannon mode...
b.) Plagueclaw catapult mode...
Once it is all painted up you should have something like this:


I hope that this is useful. As with my Screaming Bell/ Plague Furnace conversion I didn't have any magnets with me, so this conversion relies on a bit of clipping and filing only. I am sure there are easier ways to do this, so please add your comments below!

As I have said before...
...Clan Skryre is CUNNING yes-YES?


*Squeek*
p.s. Don't forget that I have put up a step-by-step painting guide for this model here.

4 comments:

  1. Great conversion! I´m gonna start a Skaven army soon, and your blog is really isnpirating.
    Cheers from Spain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Yarrick. No worries mate! I am very happy if this is useful and if it helps you get started with Skaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used this, many years later. I was looking at my magnets and the thing... then I found this.

    EASIER. DONE!

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still working in the 20s.
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...